Sweet and Sour Chicken
Ingredients for Sweet and Sour Chicken:
1/2 kg marinated chicken- fried
3 cloves garlic
2 tbsp oil
1 large onion chopped into medium pieces
1 tomato chopped into 6 pieces
2 capsicums each chopped into 8 pieces (depending on size)
1 large carrot sliced round
4-5 tbsp ketchup
2-3 tbsp chilli garlic sauce
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp sugar
Soya sauce as per taste
For chicken marinade:
Cut 1/2 kg boneless chicken into small cubes
3 tbsp flour
2 tbsp Cornflour
1 beaten egg
1 tsp Soya sauce and vinegar
(Flour and corn flour to be adjusted according to marinade)
Leave aside for half an hour.
1. First deep fry the marinated chicken till it is golden and keep aside.
2. In a large karhai/wok or deep frying pan, add a little oil and fry garlic. Then add in the vegetables and stir-fry for a few minutes depending on how crunchy or soft you want them. I fry mine just for a few minutes as i prefer them crunchy.
3. Add ketchup, chilli garlic sauce, soya sauce, apple cider vinegar and sugar. Stir and cook for 2-3 mins.
4. Add the fried chicken and mix well.
5. Taste after 2 mins and adjust seasoning to taste. My husband likes it sweeter, so sometimes I add more sugar.
6. Cook for a further 5 mins max and done!
Enjoy with chowmein!
Everyone will need to adjust the salt-sugar-sour taste according to their needs
I sometimes use brown sugar so psychologically i feel more healthy 😉
Apple cider vinegar is very strong so do not add too much!
Liked this recipe? Then check out more recipes from our valued readers. The Ramazaan Recipe contest at FUCHSIA brings you many delicious recipes to try out through out the year. Click here for more recipes!
Umamah holds an MBA degree from Institute of Business Administration, Karachi. Pakistan. She has been teaching for over 10 years now, and is currently a lecturer at IBA.
She is married and has two beautiful daughters, Alishba and Amal. She loves to spend time with close friends and family, and enjoys bonding over a good meal and a cup of tea.
Despite her educational and professional Accounting background, she finds her creativity through food and was previously operated a home-based customized cupcake business for over 2 years!