2020 has been really HARD for all of us, when the whole world had to come together to fight a pandemic, who knew that? None of us!
But HEY! Apart from all the chaos, we’re here to remind you of some exciting and mind blowing highlights of 2020!
1. Anti racism protest in America covered all over the world in 2020 #blacklivesmatter
#BlackLivesMatter protest movement which started from 2013 to present day, became the largest movement in the US history. According to New York Times Magazine, more than 40% of the US public participated in the anti racism protest, supporting Black lives included 95% of white people. The young population supported and participated in the movement and this brought a huge change in mindsets in the USA.
2. China became the first country to go in lockdown in late January.
China was the first country to enforce quarantine and lockdown of cities and later, entire provinces, in late January which was followed by most of the countries where the Pandemic took effect.
3. Zoom meetings started a new Era!
Zoom meetings became a new trend all over the world, Zoom was seeing 200 million daily meeting participants in the month of March & the figures started to increase in ‘pandemic’ proportions, growing as we speak!
4. Khabib (Muslim Wrestler) retired & became the talk of the world!
Khabib Nurmagomedov announced his retirement from Mixed Martial Arts after successfully defending his UFC lightweight title against Justin Gaethje at UFC 254.
Today I want to say this is my last fight. No way am I coming here without my father. When UFC called me about Justin I spoke with my mother for three days. She didn’t want me to fight without father and I said this is my last fight – and I have given her my word.Khabib
5. WHO declared Africa poliovirus free in August 2020.
WHO declared that Africa has finally won its long-drawn battle against the poliovirus- August 26th 2020 as a historical day in the lives of all those residing in the continent.
6. Decline in global pollution level during the Pandemic.
NASA researchers found that since February, pandemic restrictions have reduced global nitrogen dioxide concentrations by nearly 20%. NASA further stated that Earth’s atmosphere pollution levels decreased, statistics showed an over 30% decrease in Northern USA during the global Pandemic.
7. Russia has become the first country in the world to register a coronavirus vaccine for use followed by the UK who has just approved the Pfizer Vaccine to be rolled out in early December
President Vladimir Putin announced that one of his daughters has already been vaccinated against the novel coronavirus. Since Russia became the ‘world’s first nation’ to register a coronavirus vaccine on Tuesday. According to agency reports, Putin emphasized that the vaccine had passed all the necessary tests. Also, one of his daughters had taken part in the trial.
She’s feeling well and has a high number of antibodiesRussian leader
8. Taylor swift Trends as she wins the American Music Awards!
Taylor Swift dropped a whole new album for her fans in Quarantine. She wins the artist of the year in American Music Awards for the third consecutive time. Well, what’s more eye catching? She is the most popular female singer who didn’t attend the award ceremony as she was busy re recording her previous album! (Swifties, are you excited to listen to all her old songs again?)
9. The Queen’s Gambit became the most watch TV series on Netflix, following by The Crown.
A successful hit or a breakout hit? According to Netflix: The Queen’s Gambit was watched by 62 million accounts in its first 28 days of release!
10. In 2020, highest earning celebrities were Kylie Jenner and Kanye West according to Forbes
According to the Forbes magazine, Kylie Jenner tops the chart and becomes the highest earning female celebrity in 2020 with a net worth of $590M, followed by Kanye West, net worth of $170M.