Pakistanis were in a frenzy when news of the upcoming Zee5 series, Dhoop Ki Deewar made headlines. That was, until the official trailer dropped. Immediately the masses were split into two. Those who were still excited by the prospect of what the show had to offer and those who wanted to ban Dhoop Ki Deewar because they believed it furthered Indian propaganda and made light of the Kashmir issue.
Those In Favour
Umera Ahmed’s Official Statement
- She had initially written Dhoop Ki Deewar for a Pakistani content company, Group M who later sold it to Zee5.
- The writer has no say where their projects will land but it’s the producer and the channel that decides it. Moreover, it was written at a time when the relationship between Pakistan and India wasn’t as strained as it is now and when the Kashmir Act,2019 hadn’t been passed.
- She had a meeting with ISPR after she’d written the script for Dhoop ki Deewar and they had no issues with its content and were eager to promote better, peaceful ties between both countries.
- It’s a social tragedy instead of a Hindu-Muslim love story.
- She owes her success to being Pakistani and believes in the two-nation theory. She has the right to write what she wants, just as the people have the right to not read it if they don’t like it. Therefore, calling her a traitor and infidel without any proof is unjust.
- Dhoop ki Deewar isn’t related to the Kashmir issue. However, it was used in the plot because that is one of the main reasons for tensions on the line of control. Moreover, the Kashmir issue can only be resolved through constructive dialogue between both countries.
- Although it wasn’t she who decided to air the show on Zee5, she’s glad because that means the issue will get highlighted to an international audience instead of just restricting it to those living in either Pakistan or India.
- The kind of content she wants to write has more scope on the web as opposed to local tv channels. However, that doesn’t mean she’s neglecting Pakistani channels. She has a few projects that will be airing on HumTV and ARY later this year.
- Moreover, her fans should be proud that she’s getting international recognition and being hailed in internationally as well.