Pakistan marks the 144th Birth Anniversary of Allama Iqbal today. To celebrate his extraordinary contribution to this country and his larger-than-life words, here are 7 interesting lesser-known facts about him you probably didn’t know!
1. His First Book Was Written In Persian
Iqbal’s first book of poetry “Asrar-e-Khudi”, was written in the Persian language and deals with the philosophy of religion.
2. Allama Iqbal Was Accredited With Two Titles
3. Allama Iqbal Got Married Three Times
4. He Obtained His ‘Doctor Of Philosophy’ Degree From Germany
Allama Iqbal qualified for a scholarship from Trinity College, University of Cambridge and obtained Bachelor of Arts in 1906 and earned his ‘Doctor of Philosophy degree from the Ludwig Maximilian University, Munich in 1908.
5. A Street Is Named After Him In Germany
6. His Higher Education Was Funded With The Help Of His Brother
The poet’s father, Shiekh Noor Muhammad was a tailor by profession. Hence, he did not grow up surrounded by an excess of economic privileges. Therefore, Allama Iqbal’s brother Atta Muhammad who worked as a contractor with the British Army, helped the poet obtain a higher education.
7. Allama Iqbal Was Given The Title Of “Sir”
In 1922, the great poet was accredited with the title of “Sir” by King George V.
Which one did you know already? Let us know!