Did you know? Consuming 30 g of 85% dark chocolate every day can help improve your mood & make you ‘happier’?
In a recent study quoted by The Daily Mail, consuming 10 gms of 85% dark chocolate 3 times a day can significantly uplift mood! That means taking in a total of 30gms a day (equivalent to about 1/3 of a 100gm bar)
Do take note, results were best with 85% dark chocolate (not less).
Before we dig into those benefits, let’s talk about what dark chocolate actually is.
Identify Your Dark Chocolate
Know the typical ingredients! That’s right. Quality chocolate will only have a few ingredients – mainly cocoa, cacao butter, vanilla and maybe some milk & sugar. However, commercial chocolates will have a long list of ingredients with things like vegetable fat (potentially artery-clogging fat), butter fat and different flavorings.
5 Super Health Benefits of Dark Chocolate
- It is loaded with nutrients like iron, zinc, copper and magnesium.
- Right amount everyday may help prevent heart disease and lower the risk of stroke.
- This treat may also improve cognition, prevent memory loss and boost your mood.
- Food scientists have also claimed that it is beneficial for the gut and may also aid in weight loss.
- It also helps fight against free radicals and prevents cancer.
- Dark chocolate is a great mood booster. According to research, consuming dark chocolate stimulate the production of the “happy chemical” Serotonin that can help elavate your mood!
When & How to Enjoy This Treat
The recommended amount to get the maximum benefit is 5 to 6 grams which makes it about 1-2 small squares. Because of its good caffeine content, it is advised not to take it prior to bedtime. The best time would be any time of the day you need to feel most active, awake and energetic, as it actually gives you a boost.
Dark chocolate can be enjoyed as it is or maybe as a steaming cup of hot milk chocolate, a cube or two eaten with some fruit and nuts, a tablespoon of dark chocolate shavings added to your favorite smoothie and much more!
Here’s a delicious recipe for you to try:
Chocolate Mini Cupcake
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate or 2/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup almond flour or oat flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350 F
- Grease 8 wells of a cupcake tin or an 8 inch round pan with olive oil
- Chop the chocolate into small pieces. Melt in a microwave-safe bowl on high in 30-second bursts, stirring after each one, until melted. Alternatively, melt over the stove in the top of a double boiler
- In a large bowl, use an electric beater and beat the eggs for 1 minute. Add honey, brown sugar, olive oil, flour, vanilla, salt and melted chocolate and beat for 1 minute on high
- Fill in the cupcake wells to 1/3 and bake for about 17 to 18 minutes. If using a round pan, bake for 23 minutes
- Remove from the oven and cool for at least 10 minutes. Wedge the mini cakes from the tin and dust lightly with powdered sugar. For the full cake, serve wedges directly out of the pan
So, are you someone who loves dark chocolate? If not, will you be willing to give it a try now?