The importance of having a nutritious breakfast can not be denied but who likes stressing over it when there is not much time especially in the early hours, right? Here, I have three oats recipes for you that are not only time-saving and nutritious but super tasty too. Spare 10-15 minutes for preparation and just dig right into the hearty meal.
1. Chocolate Peanut Butter Overnight Oats
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (Instant oats might not give the desired creamier texture)
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt (Use Greek yogurt for some extra protein)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds or ground flaxseed
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon peanut butter
- 2 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1-2 tablespoon honey or as per taste (Non-caloric natural sweetener Stevia is also a good alternate)
- Any seasonal fruit for topping
- Whisk together all the ingredients except for fresh fruit in a medium sized mason jar or any jar with a tight-fitting lid.
- Close and refrigerate for at last 4 hours, but preferable overnight, before eating.
- Just top it up with any seasonal fresh fruit for some extra flavor and fiber right before eating.
Nutritional value: This recipe serves for 1 and it provides 450 calories with 65-gram carbohydrate, 21-gram protein & 18-gram fat
2. Peach Oat Smoothie
Highly convenient for people who often skip breakfast or are not really fond of eating solid food first thing in the morning. This quick smoothie can provide them with all the necessary nutrients and enough fuel required to kick start the day.
Peaches are in season, why not make them into a beautiful glass of smoothie? Remember, any seasonal fruit can be used instead of peach. It’s really just about your taste!
- 1 ripe peach or any other fruit (quartered, pits removed)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1-2 tablespoon honey or as per taste (stevia can also be used)
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter or 1 tbsp finely ground almond & walnut powder
- Add ingredients to a blender and let set for 5-10 minutes so the oats and chia seeds can soak. Then blend until smooth.
- To thicken the smoothie, add 1/2 frozen banana whereas to thin it out, add 1/2 cup milk.
- Taste and adjust flavor as needed.
1 serving of this oat smoothie provides 460 calories, 79-gram carbohydrate, 12-gram protein and 15-gram fat
3. Savory Oatmeal with Cheddar & Egg
Despite how delicious oats and cereal are, some of us really need something savoury for breakfast. This recipe is the perfect blend of flavour, texture and nutrition!
- 1/4 cup uncooked rolled oats
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup chopped carrot
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- Salt & pepper as per taste
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1 egg
- Spring onions for topping (optional)
- In a saucepan, heat oil and saute ginger garlic paste. Add in vegetables and saute them for 3-5 minutes.
- Add in water and let it boil.
- Once water starts boiling, add oats and let it cook on low medium flame until water is absorbed.
- Add cheddar cheese (1 slice or 2-3 tablespoon crushed), salt, pepper & oregano.
- Egg can be whisked and added directly in it during cooking or it can be fried or boiled and placed as a topping.
- Sprinkle finely cut spring onion as topping and serve hot.
This recipe serves for 1 and it provides 200 calories, 16-gram carbohydrate, 12-gram protein and 10-gram fat
Which one of these healthy yet, delicious recipes are you eager to try? Let us know!